Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cancer for Dummies

There actually are some specific versions of these classic books, Prostate Cancer for Dummies, Breast Cancer for Dummies, and others, I'm sure. I need more of a "Living with Cancer for Dummies" guidebook. Make that a "Living with Cancer for Single Dummies." Yeah, that's what I'm looking for!

I'm not talking about cancer treatment, I'm talking about life. First of all, in the shock of diagnosis, the wheels are just not turning. If you've got a spouse, you've got a sane partner who can think logically and help with decisions. Like... someone mentioned that, since I hadn't been able to work for months and probably would not be able to work for a long time, it might be a good idea to apply for SS Disability and Food Stamps. How long would it have taken me to come up with that on my own? I don't know - all my brain cells have been busy trying to fight for my life.

And if you have a spouse, maybe your spouse can provide income while you concentrate on getting well. Even if they can't provide income, they can help you fight for your Disability and Food Stamps because those petty bureaucrats will kill you a whole lot faster than cancer.

I was never a lonely, miserable single person. Really, I was a relatively happy single person (okay, a little cranky now and then) with a full life and terrific friends. But for the first time, I think I understand why having that life partner might be more important than a fruitless search for the perfect life partner. I understand why commitment ceremonies include the words, "in sickness and in health."

Talk about your late bloomers.

No comments: