Saturday, August 2, 2008

Meet the Hoodies

The other half of my local posse are the Hoodies. I doubt I'd still be slugging away without their help. This is a group of five couples and four singles who have answered every call.

They practically carried me to radiation treatments and back in the dead of winter, every day for three weeks. They installed lighting fixtures, toted my recyclables, and kept my birdfeeders filled. They weeded my flower beds, trimmed my hedges, and cleaned out my gutters. They helped cut up and bundle downed tree limbs, and provided rides to and from car repair crises. They picked up and dropped off groceries, prescriptions, dog food, and anything else I needed. They kept me supplied with bags of books and magazines, and spirit-lifting bouquets. They have taken my dog on walks, for playdates, and even brought her to a neighborhood dinner party that I was not able to attend. They hosted a fundraiser for me, and contributed generously. They helped me set up this blog.

Really, how many of you live in a neighborhood where you know more than a dozen people you could call, and at the drop of a hat, any one of them would come to your aid and provide whatever help you need? I would bet none of you... unless of course, you live in my neighborhood.

I understand that at some point I may be unable to live on my own, and I'll have to reconsider my living situation. But I'm not going to leave my 'hood a second before I have to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

XXOOOO

party light lady

Anonymous said...

hi nancy,

i followed your link from cookinglight (where i've been an unregistered lurker for some time). please count me as both a fan and wellwisher. your blog is a gem! your feisty attitude and persona come through very clearly in your writing, which is a marvel of witty plainspokenness.

you ask, "how many of you live in a neighborhood where you know more than a dozen people you could call, and at the drop of a hat, any one of them would come to your aid...?" i have a hunch that most of us could live in your neighborhood, among your wonderful neighbors, and yet not have the circle of friends that you have. you are right to be grateful, but you should also give yourself plenty of credit for creating such a fantastic support group.

best, gina

p.s. i hope you realized that one of the hazards of having a public blog is that you would be subject to random posts of admiration from complete strangers! :-)

La Cootina said...

Thanks for such a nice observation, Gina, er... Anonymous. ;D

My hoodies are so wonderful they would help anyone in need, worthy or not...but I hope that you're right. If you judge a girl by the company she keeps, I haven't been giving myself nearly enough credit.