Monday, August 25, 2008

Nuclear Dahlias


Or as President Gump would say, "Nuke-yu-ler" Dahlias. Bro 1, Mom and meself are the gardeners in the clan. Mom's roses and dahlias are spectacular... and Bro 1 really puts me to shame. Not just these exquisite dahlias (by his knees, and again, head-high) but also his roses, his lilies, and a very impressive vegetable garden. All from a fairly small suburban lawn outside Chicago - where he has a very short growing season!

Funny thing, though, I was recently reminded that the first time I planted dahlias, I had what can only be explained as "beginner's luck." Either that, or maybe there really was some nuclear waste on this little patch of soil. I just stuck the tubers in the ground and watered them... and they grew and grew and grew. Eventually they were taller than the gutters on my house; easily 14-16 feet!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I have NEVER seen dahlias like that, and my grandpa was a huge fan of them...must be some nuclear waste. CRAZY!!

La Cootina said...

If you ever get a chance to see the dahlia competition at the state fair (or any dahlia competition) you will be amazed: they are 10-12" across or even LARGER! They're called "Dinner Plate Dahlias." The first time mom & I saw them, we were hooked... and now Bro 1 is part of the cult, I mean, fan club...