Tuesday, August 26, 2008

As Good A Religion As Any

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was created in response to a Kansas school board's decision to teach "Intelligent Design" alongside evolution, as if the two were comparable theories. Adherents, called (I kid you not) Pastafarians, are popping up all over the world, demanding equal time whenever a school, municipality, legislature or any public body allows public displays of any one religion, or gives preference to any one religion. (Also see A Scientific Religion, a nice overview with links to related articles in NY Times, Scientific American, Washington Post, and BoingBoing's million dollar reward to anyone who can prove Jesus is not the son of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.)

Rather than a set of strict commandments, the Gospel of His Noodliness offers eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" to follow. I have to say, if I were going to join a religion, this one suits my philosophy and temperament more than any other. But honestly, with the single, notable exception of my cooking club, Stir Crazy, I'm just not much of a joiner.

I mention this because I respect CFSM, and because there are still people who have not heard of this fast-growing religion. Also, I have been asked if Flying Heart Person (see description at right "About the Masthead") has any affiliation with this Church. I am proud to report that Flying Heart Person is absolutely, completely non-denominational. But s/he has admitted to finding the Flying Spaghetti Monster, "kinda hot." Plus, they have that whole flying thing in common...

No comments: