Friday, June 12, 2009

Resting, Napping, Sleeping, Resting

I've been in the grip of another paralyzing fatigue. For the last two days, I've been resting or sleeping about 20-22 hours per day. My arms and legs are made of concrete, my head is made of lead. Leadhead. I'm too tired to feel bad about how tired I am; there's no energy left for guilt or regret. I can't even watch foreign movies, because I can't sit up long enough to read the subtitles. How pitiful is that?

Luckily, Slumdog Millionaire (SM) is mostly in English, so I was able to watch it. What an incredible movie! I was thrilled that it had a happy, Bollywood ending complete with musical number. As far as world travel, I've seen most of North America, and bits of the Caribbean and Europe. I haven't been to Asia or Africa, but even that glimpse of the Caribbean made it evident to me that poverty in the rest of the world is not the same thing as poverty in the USA. That point is driven home with a two-ton sledgehammer in SM. There is still some furor over the lives of the child actors in this film, a case of fiction becoming non-fiction. We can hope that they will be lifted from despair and literally given new lives. Of course, it begs the question: what about the millions and millions of kids who are not in the movie? At any rate, if you haven't seen it, add it to your list. And if you have any other Bollywood suggestions, send 'em along. (I've seen most of the "biggies" like Monsoon Wedding.)

I'm going to try to get the front yard mowed before the next line of thunderstorms arrives. I'm sure I will be down for the count afterwards. I haven't felt fatigue to this extreme for almost a year. I wonder if this is going to be an occasional symptom, or if it will go away once I'm in CR.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bride and Prejudice is a good Bollywood movie.

Cathy C said...

We could mow your grass this weekend if the weather allows!!

La Cootina said...

Thanks for the movie tip. Cathy, I managed to get it mowed, but thanks for the generous offer! If I "hit the wall" again, I may take you up on it. xoxo