Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm one of the lucky ones... for now

My health insurance premium went up $45 per month last year. They usually raise the rates in April, so I thought -- foolishly -- that I might escape another increase, especially since last year's was so large. NAWT. I just received notice that my premium will increase this year by $57 per month. This adds up to a 50% increase in premiums over the last two years.

And I'm one of the lucky ones. Because I still have health insurance. Because I will find a way to cut expenses even further (don't ask me how, I haven't figured it out yet) and keep my policy, at least until they find a way to cancel me.

But, Mr. President, it's time to move health care/health insurance to the front burner. If you don't, millions of people like me are going to end up declaring bankruptcy and going on the dole, and that's going to cost a whole lot more than finding a solution now. It's not going to please everyone, but it's time to wrest health care from the grip of industry: they have a vested interest in denying coverage.

3 comments:

Kathy from NJ said...

I graduated to a new age bracket in 2008 - the increase was $200/month. In calendar 2008 insurance premiums were just north of $14,000 for the two of us - my private insurance and Rich's medicare & medicare supplemental.

Kathy from NJ said...

I just thought of something - if you're on SS disability don't you qualify for medicare? My husband's medicare supplemental insurance is approx $200/month (thru AARP).

La Cootina said...

I don't know if I qualify for medicare or not. But I'm pretty sure I want to keep my private ins. for as long as I can afford it. $14K a year??? How does anyone afford that?