Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bottoms up!

I have finally zeroed out on my blood cell counts. So this is the bottom; I may stay here for a few days but then will begin to climb out. For the first time in my life, I am getting blood. Can't give me any old germy blood; I get the extra-pure, super-radiated, hi-octane blood. "Sanitized for Your Protection." Just like those paper bands on the motel's toilet seats.

And I get a big chart - yay me! Nurse Jesse hasn't had time to fill it in yet. I don't know if it will be just numbers, or maybe some smiley faces and gold stars on really good days.

Most of the nurses have been in the good-to-great range. My two weekend nurses surprised me, and not just because they were boy people. Nurse Paul is a big ol' strapping hunk o' manliness. He reminds me of one of the "Blue Collar Kings of Comedy" -- the one who always has a highball glass and a cigar. Anyways, Paul looks like he was first string, and and could snap a lesser fellow in pieces without much effort. I promise you, if you put his picture in front of people, no one would guess "nurse" in their first ten tries. So I was really surprised, then, when Paul was relieved by Nurse Floyd, who looks like he could snap Paul into pieces. My word, he's a big 'un! Pirate, Viking, Lumberjack. Again, I just don't think anyone would ever guess "nurse." I was almost afraid to see who would relieve Floyd....maybe Shrek?

On a personal level, this zeroing business is not much fun. I'm still quite fuzzy-headed, and in spite of frequent mouth rinsing, starting to get that mucositis. Hair is starting to fall out, still don't know if it will all fall out. I'm still surprised that a trip to the restroom & back exhausts me. I haven't done a lap around the unit for a couple of days; I'll try & start that again tomorrow. And maybe I can add it to my chart! And get another star!

Geez, does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

2 comments:

Meeta Banerjee said...

Frankly i'm quite partial to red stars.

Hang in there lady, you're doing an amazing job :) And perhaps you can get one of those hunky nurses to give you a sponge bath! WOOOHOO :)

Unknown said...

Ron White would be the bourbon-swillin', cigar chompin' redneck you speak of. Having a nurse lookalike of him would totally be my highlight!