Sunday, September 14, 2008

What About Happy and Doc?

I don't know if it's my brain or my body or both that are in revolt, but something has decided to have an allergic reaction to the adhesive on Portitia's bandage. It was a little itchy and then a lot itchy. And then it was bumpy and itchy and now we've got the trifecta: bumpy, itchy and red. (Add grumpy and sneezy and I've almost got a full set of dwarfs.) Now it looks like actual hives, across my chest, out to my shoulder, creeping up my neck. So far, unaffected by benadryl lotion or hydrocortisone cream.

If you're even considering suggesting that I did this to myself, that this is an inevitable manifestation of my anxiety, I promise, my next inevitable manifestation will be to cyberpunch you right in the kisser, or die trying. My theory is that my body is rapidly careening toward maximum misery, in order to make the transplant seem not just acceptable, but almost appealing.

Either that, or I'm allergic to the goddamned adhesive on the dressing.

5 comments:

Kathy from NJ said...

Is this a dressing that goes around the port? My husband has had a peg-tube (feeding tube) since Oct 2001. I buy a wonderful dressing with a slit in it that does not require tape and will be happy to send you some to try. I can't find a link, but it's Kendall Excilon Drain Sponge Ref #7086. I buy them from continentostomystore.com - usually buy other items, too, because they have a flat shipping charge regardless of how much you buy.


If you want me to send some, send me your address. Karen might be willing to vouch for me that I am not a mad stalker - I sent her a package once

RBottonister at yahoo dot com

Kathy from NJ said...

This link might take you to a picture of the Kendall Excilon Drain Sponges


http://www.continentostomystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KEN7086&Category_Code=KENEDS

Anonymous said...

If it ain't one damned thing, it's another!
Just wait until it's not any damned thing at all :)
You will be back on the road to health, wealth and happiness very soon-ish.

Anonymous said...

It's definitely possible to be allergic to the tape. You might try switching to a paper tape if you haven't already done so.

La Cootina said...

It's an "all in one" dealie. In a sealed, sterile package, I get mask, gloves, alcohol prep, and the sealed dressing. It's a large clear plastic rectangle. The whole thing adheres, but there's a strip of extra-sticky adhesive all around the edges: no tape.