Friday, January 29, 2010

Why Borange?

From whence cometh the blog name?

When I was a 'tween and Sis was 5-6 years old, I told her -- with the usual pomposity and condescension reserved only for her -- that nothing rhymes with "orange." Without even looking up from our little arts & crafts table, she said, "Borange." Ha! With the usual indignation reserved only for her, I said, "Borange isn't a real word!" And she replied, "You didn't say it had to be a real word," leaving me sputtering in a stew of pomposity and indignation.

I don't know why I remember this 100 years later, but it stuck with me. I wish she'd disagreed with me more often. I wish I'd told her that I loved it when she disagreed with me.

Unfortunately, some schmuck named Bob created a blog called "Borange"... eight freakin' years ago. He's never posted anything to it, but apparently Google will let you leave up a blog forever, even an empty one, and hog the blog name forever. So the "real" name of my blog is LaCootina, a pseudo-Spanish diminutive of The Coot, which Joyce started calling me 10-20 years ago. The subtitle is "Because I said So," because -- of course -- that blog name was already taken, too. The most recent statistics I could find (after 17 seconds of grueling, in-depth research) indicated...
"Blog search engine Technorati says it's now tracking over 70 million blogs, with 120,000 new blogs created every day. Gartner predicts that sometime in the first half of 2007, the number of bloggers will peak at 100 million."
Figuring the web grows exponentially, there are probably 3-500 million blogs by now. I bet 7 million of them are empty blogs, hogged by Bob the Schmuck.

4 comments:

Karen said...

He's a blog hog!

Anonymous said...

I'm Bob, but thank God I'm not Bob The Schmuck...

Love your blog!

tim's wife said...

Maybe we could convince Bob to change his blog to Schmorange.

La Cootina said...

Lucky for you, AnonBob!

TW - great idea. Send him a note. ;D