Thursday, December 25, 2008

Oh, the Shame...

First, let me say in my defense that it was the day before Christmas and the Red Box selection was mighty limited. The prospect of 24 hours of Christmas specials to someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas caused me to broaden my criteria for movie selection. And that is how I happened to bring home "You Don't Mess with the Zohan." I don't even like Adam Sandler. Like Will Farrell*, he keeps playing the same character over and over, the kind of character who entertains mostly young boy people.

Sandler as a Mossad super agent has screamingly funny super powers, a total obsession with sex, and an outsized Israeli-style ego. In a personal quest for peace, he moves to New York City to change careers and become a hairdresser. Ongoing gags feature hummus, Israeli soda pop, and bare asses. In spite of a predictable storyline and ending, I found the movie hilarious. Laughing at Sandler's crotch/sex jokes is like laughing at a 6-year old's booger jokes, or an 8-year old's fart jokes. You know you shouldn't and you certainly don't want to encourage them...but you just can't help it.

I'm so ashamed. It's as if I was caught reading The Enquirer or buying a dozen Twinkies.
_______________________________
(*Each has had one exceptional role. Farrell's was in Stranger Than Fiction. Sandler's: Punch-Drunk Love.)

No comments: