Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Blueberry-Peach Crisp

A wicked storm line blasted through here today. Lots of flooding, downed trees, homes without power. I escaped any damage, though Molly and I had a few thrilling moments, watching sheets of rain race each other across the yard, as day turned to night and winds gusted up to 60 mph.

My project du jour was a Blueberry Crisp. Just as the last rose of summer is the most beautiful, the last blueberries are the biggest, plumpest and sweetest. I had a 2 lb container of blueberries, plus a couple of peaches to use. I decided to make a crust-less dessert. Here's what I came up with:

Fruit Filling:
2 lbs. blueberries (less a cup saved for cereal)
2 big peaches, pitted, peeled & sliced
3 Tbs flour
2 Tbs sugar
Dash of cinnamon
Mix all together & divide among (4) 2-cup ramekins or baking dishes.

TOPPING:
1C cereal remainder*
1/2 C rolled oats
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C melted butter
1/2 C chopped nuts
Mix first 4 ingredients together. Pour melted butter on and stir to distribute. Add chopped nuts & toss gently. Spoon lightly over the fruit, dividing evenly. (Don't mash it down.)

Bake uncovered at 375ยบ for 30 minutes.

*Every time I finish a box of cereal, there's 2-3 Tbsp of cereal "crumbs" at the bottom of the box. I've saved these because I read that it's great to use for crisps, crumb toppings, etc. Most of my crumbs are from cereals that have some natural sweeteners, so I didn't add very much sugar. You could change the rolled oats to 1C and add a couple tablespoons of flour.

I may still buy one more pint of blueberries... to keep in the freezer.

No comments: