Monday, November 24, 2008

The Food No-Nos

My SCT handbook has post-transplant activity and nutrition guidelines ("Neutropenic Diet for Autologus Patients After Discharge"). Supernurse G said they're not carved in stone, just suggestions, but honestly... why go through all this and then take any unnecessary changes?

Among the food NoNos:

  • Any unpasteurized or raw cheese, milk or yogurt products; cheese that contains chili peppers or other uncooked vegetables; cheese with mold (Bleu, Stilton, gorgonzola, etc.); sharp cheddar, brie, camembert, feta
  • Raw or undercooked meat, poultry, fish, game, tofu or eggs; meats and cold cuts from delicatessens; hard cured salami; cold smoked salmon or lox; pickled fish; tempe or tempe products; all miso products
  • Unroasted raw nuts; roasted nuts in the shell; unwashed raw fruits; unpasteurized fruit or vegetable juices
  • Unwashed raw vegetables or herbs; raw vegetable sprouts; raw mushrooms; salads from delis; refrigerator-case commercial salsas
  • Raw grain products (I don't think I even know what these are); patients should not make mix or knead any product containing yeast
  • Well water (unless tested yearly and found to be free of coliforms); cold-brewed tea
  • Unrefrigerated cream-filled pastry products
  • Fresh salad dressings containing aged cheese (Bleu, Roquefort, etc.) or raw eggs
  • Raw or non-treated honey or honey in the comb; herbal and nutrient supplement preparations; brewer's yeast, if uncooked
It is also suggested patients who don't have a dishwasher rinse cleaned dishes with 1/2 ounce chlorine leach per 1 gallon of hot rinse water, and allow dishes to air dry.

So far, I've done pretty well. I've blown it with the cheese: I've had both hot pepper jack cheese and brie. This is a quality of life issue; I don't want to live in a world without brie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Coot -
I've been following your blog for a couple months now. I ran across it when I was researching MM, something my doctor said I might have. An agonizing 3 weeks of testing later (including a bone marrow biopsy which I insisted on having IV sedation and the tech looked at me like I was crazy--what is it with these people wanting to inflict pain?).
Anyway, I dodged a bullet and found out I did not have MM--just a nasty blood disorder that could some day lead to it.
I want to tell you that your blog made me feel like I could live through it, that life goes on, that friends and family will be there. I come back to your blog every once in awhile because I share your city, your political leanings, and your sense of humor.
Just wanted you to know that you helped one person, who in turn is praying for your good health to return. (I'm one of those people who loves Jesus, but I don't think he wants me to be a freak about it.)
Anyway, hope to see you soon on the Monon trail...

La Cootina said...

Wow, thanks for such a wonderful note, Anon. I'm so, SO glad to hear you don't have MM. And that I've found another lefty here in the Republic of Republicana. Best wishes.