Tuesday, November 4, 2008

THRILLING!

I sent in my absentee ballot more than a week ago and I'm a little bit sorry I did. I'm sorry that I'll miss the THRILL of voting in person this election.

In my lifetime, our country has matured from barely passing the Civil Rights Act...

In a nationally televised address on June 6, 1963, President John F. Kennedy urged the nation to take action toward guaranteeing equal treatment of every American regardless of race. Soon after, Kennedy proposed that Congress consider civil rights legislation that would address voting rights, public accommodations, school desegregation, nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs, and more.

Despite Kennedy's assassination in November of 1963, his proposal culminated in the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson just a few hours after Senate approval on July 2, 1964. The act outlawed segregation in businesses such as theaters, restaurants, and hotels. It banned discriminatory practices in employment and ended segregation in public places such as swimming pools, libraries, and public schools.

Passage of the act was not easy. House opposition bottled up the bill in the House Rules Committee. In the Senate, opponents attempted to talk the bill to death in a filibuster. In early 1964, House supporters overcame the Rules Committee obstacle by threatening to send the bill to the floor without committee approval. The Senate filibuster was overcome through the floor leadership of Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota, the considerable support of President Lyndon Johnson, and the efforts of Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen of Illinois, who convinced Republicans to support the bill. (Source)
to possibly (probably?) electing the first African American to be President of the United States. I'm proud of and excited for all the first-time voters that I'm even refraining from asking any of them, "What the hell took you so long?" News reports here are that there was a rush-hour crunch of voters which caused some minor delays, but virtually all the polling places have been steadily busy all day. At the end of the day, they are going to have to also count close to 100,000 absentee ballots so I'm not sure how long it will take before the news crews start offering partial results.

IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET, DON'T MISS THE CHANCE TO BE A PART OF HISTORY. (AND GET A FREE COFFEE AT STARBUCKS AND A FREE ICE CREAM AT BASKIN ROBBINS.) I MEAN IT - EVERY VOTE COUNTS!

This evening, I will be celebrating with my Hoodies at Bill's. Celebrating! When was the last time I celebrated election results? It's been a looong time.

We are evolving! I'm so proud of us, and so relieved.

No comments: