Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Humble Pie a la Mode


I had a good laugh over this picture. My date -- we'll call him Norbert -- invited me to an awards dinner, a fancy-shmancy hullabaloo. Norbert was a bit of a sanctimonious, self-righteous jerk. (In hindsight, I see that we had that in common.) I know we dated on and off for at least a year, because I went to this shindig twice with him.

This was almost 20 years ago, and I was already becoming dress-resistant. I bought this jumpsuit (yes, it was a jumpsuit) for the occasion because it seemed formal enough. But honestly, the real reason is it was a size 5, and I was awfully smug about being 30-something and still fitting into a size 5.

Yeah, life had a big slice of humble pie in store for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did I know you then? I must have! Give me a hint of who that was!!

La Cootina said...

This was after you moved away; just a year or two after I bought the Villa. I'm sure you never met... Norbert.