Monday, November 24, 2008

The Activity No-Nos

The same caveat from my team: these are guidelines. The list starts with a slew of rules for port care. Thank goddess that no longer applies. With very few exceptions -- pets & houseplants -- I consider these carved in granite. Again, why take chances?

  • Wash your hands before and after every meal, and before and after using the bathroom
  • Brush teeth after each meal and at bedtime
  • Wear your mask in the hospital and at the doctor's office
  • Avoid crowded places
  • Avoid anyone who is sick. If a person in your household gets sick, avoid close contact and wash hands frequently
  • If you have a pet, discuss this with your BMT physician
  • Do not clean attics or basements or any areas with a lot of dust
  • No gardening or raking
  • Avoid construction areas, direct contact with pesticides, solvents, paint, strong chemicals and fertilizers as they may suppress your immune system
  • Avoid standing water like ponds and lakes
  • Do not sunbathe
  • Take naps as needed. Do not stay in bed unless you plan to sleep.
  • Avoid well water.
  • Do not sit in hot tubs.
  • Restrictions are based on recovery of your immune system. Remember that recovery of your immune system will take longer than recover of your WBC and AGC. Your doctor will tell you when some of these restrictions can be discontinued

There are a few others about returning to work (ha) and sexual activity (if only). The caution about pets is really a concern about handling pet poo. We're not supposed to clean a litterbox, pick up doggy doo, etc. I bend this rule when I walk Miss Molly, but I'm usually wearing my mask or a scarf across my face.

And while I don't stay in bed, or go back to bed, I do take a lot of naps. It's one of the few things I do really well.

No comments: