Friday, August 8, 2008

Pucker Up, Olympians

Yes, I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Yes, they're spectacular. Two thousand and eight drummers. Fifteen thousand performers in all. The numbers are staggering. The venues are staggering. A population of one-point-three billion is staggering.

But it's going to be a very strange Olympics and I'm glad I don't feel emotionally invested in any particular athlete or sport. China has been busy hanging banners and streamers in front of its dirty secrets and political maneuvering and human rights atrocities, and I'm just not on board for the happy talk. You put lipstick on a pig, and you know what you have? Lipstick on a pig.

I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly loved the opening of the Olympics and made a quite nice Chinese meal from Marin Yan's new cookbook. What can I say I love the Olympics and Chinese food but loving the Chinese government is not for me. All in all is was great opening!!

La Cootina said...

Mmmm - what did you make?

Anonymous said...

Alright here's the menu from Friday night. All from Martin Yan's China

Yin-Yang Vegetable Pockets (I really just made the Yin version which is a lot like a pot sticker--- oh yeah and mine really did stick Next time I'll use the non stick pan like the recipe directs)
Those were served with a Soy-Vinegar Dipping Sauce
Shangri-la Beef (which was a super flavorful stir fried beef dish)
Ginger Garlic Bok Choy
Steamed brown rice

It was definitely a big meal for me to make after a very long week. Plus much more food than we normally have but I will definitely be trying some more recipes from this book.

La Cootina said...

i can see how an awesome meal like that would put you in the mood to watch the Olympics... in between naps.