Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Get The Gory Details (You Don't)

After the delightful class yesterday (see below), I went back to the hospital today for another marathon. First, there was another piss-and-a-poke. It was a 7-tuber.

Then I had a meeting with a nurse, the purpose of which was to sign the consent form for the transplant. But first, working through a seven page outline, we went through the most thorough, day-by-day overview, complete with most likely scenarios and worst possible scenarios. (More on that -- or why I won't be sharing more on that -- later. Let me just say that everything I have been through so far has been a cakewalk, a joyride, a tropical vacation, compared to what's ahead. ) I didn't check the time before I went in, but I think this meeting was about 1.5 hours.

Then I met with my Transplant Coordinator, who is frustrated that we still can't commit to dates for a couple of reasons. He is very professional, but also kind and patient and understanding. Really -- I manage NOT to cry, because I want him to be proud of me. That's how much I like this guy. We talk about hypothetical schedules, but I know my window is closing fast.

Then I head downstairs for an EKG. It only takes 5 minutes, but is administered by one of the most unpleasant people I've ever encountered at this facility. I am a very good, cheery, patient patient but it is wasted on this sourpuss. Then I go for a chest x-ray, and the wheels grind to a halt as this outpatient clinic is way busy. It's 2:30 pm (I started at 11:30a) and I'm salivating for the granola bar I stuck in my bag. But it's peanut butter flavored, and there are signs everywhere not to eat peanut or peanut-flavored products in this area. I decide not to kill the radiologist with peanut allergies, and have four tic-tacs for lunch. Finally get the chest x-ray, and cross the finish line. Out the door, hike to the garage, and pay for five hours parking although I was there four hours and three minutes.

I eat the granola bar on the way home, giving myself an extra THREE imaginary gold stars. And don't forget - it's Wacky Wednesday. So I completely understand the sentiment below.

No comments: