Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ten Years Already?

It doesn't seem possible that the shootings at Columbine High School were a decade ago. It was another world-screeching-to-a-halt moment. Perhaps a faint glimmer of awareness dawned on the geniuses who wrote a "gun control" law with a gun show loophole big enough to drive an armored tank through. This is what happens when insanity and firearms meet. The excruciating randomness of the slaughter still troubles me. It reminds me of the infamous Tylenol murders, which were chilling for the same reason.

Has anything good come out of it? I doubt it. Some of the survivors, who might have gone through life as happy bystanders, have become activists and advocates for gun control, mental health issues, etc. I bet they would trade in whatever they have accomplished for another five minutes with their loved one.

Speaking of which, I get a little cranky when I hear the phrase, "cancer victim." The students and teachers who were murdered at Columbine High School were victims; their loved ones are victims. I'm not a victim, I'm a patient.

No comments: