Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Is It Just Me? #38,597

I hired Darrell & Darrell to replace a bit of wood fencing. I was encouraged that Darrell actually called on Monday to say he would come when it stopped raining. And when I got in from a doctor's appointment today, they were here, and the fence posts were already in. They were using a very cheap (and cheap-looking) gothic picket; it looks as if it was cut with a chainsaw. Not what I would have chosen, but hey, just getting people to show up is such a challenge, I'll live it. All was well until they built and hung the gate. It was so wonky and cock-eyed, I went out and told them it was unacceptable. I pointed out where it was crooked, off center, not true horizontally or vertically. "Mm-hmm, yep, mm-hmm," Darrell said, "well, we can fix that, ma'am." And it took another hour...but they did fix it.

This happens just about every time I have someone do any kind of work around the Villa: first they do a crappy job, then I tactfully point out the problems, and then they fix it. Why don't they just do it right the first time? Every time, they have to try to get away with shoddy workmanship.

Well, it's done, it's acceptable, and they hauled away the old fence. All I have to do is pick up the cigarette butts. Well done, Darrell. Nice job, Darrell. You've earned a cold brewski and a big bowl of roadkill.

No comments: