Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Follicle Follies

My hair is maybe an inch long now, it's kind of hard to tell, because as I was warned... it is growing back very, very curly. It is also a more-salt-than-pepper sort of steel gray. I find it quite unattractive but I'm going to tough it out; maybe when it calms down a little, it won't be so bad. In the meantime, I amuse myself trying to Name That Coif. Steel Chia Pet. Scary Gym Teacher. Geriatric Poodle.

My sis-in-law wisely thought ahead to the eyebrow-less situation, and set me up with some very good eyebrow makeup. I try to use a light hand, because my hair is so light, the dark eyebrows can look a little startling. Speaking of which, I've never been able to raise one eyebrow -- a tragic irony to someone who goes through life in a perpetual state of jaded skepticism -- and I'm always tempted to draw just one eyebrow arching up, up, up to my hairline. I think it would be hilarious to make people ask, "What? ...WHAT!?" everywhere I go.

4 comments:

Karen said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!! I've never been able to raise one eyebrow, either.

Kathy from NJ said...

I think I once mentioned my beautiful cousin with breast cancer, she had chemo for a year. In June 2005, approx 6 mos to a year after her chemo ended, her hair was very curly. The curls are gone now and her normal hair is back. Does anyone know what causes the temporary curls?

La Cootina said...

Good question - I'll ask my doc next week & see if he knows.

tim's wife said...

If I had to guess, the curly hair may be caused by the collapse of the hair follicles. People with straight hair actually have round
shaped hair follicles. Those with curly hair have flat shaped ones.
I think the damage done by the chemo probably causes the follicles to flatten causing curly hair and the hair growing out
eventually brings them back to their normal shape. It's just a guess. I've never actually had a doctor tell me the reason but at least after 1000 hours of beauty school 26 years ago, I've retained
enough to SOUND like I know what I'm talking about. :o)