Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Playtime

When we weren't dressing my poor Sis in ridiculous costumes...we rode bikes. We had swing sets and see-saws and monkey bars. Playing was our job; if we weren't in school, we played. In the summer, my uncle put up a net for badminton (above). Their back yard was much larger than ours, and wide open. We played games like tag and "Mother, May I?" and "Rock School." (Don't you worry, Bro 1, Rock School's gonna get its own post one day.) We belonged to the YMCA and swam whenever we could get someone to drive us there and back.

In the winter, we went sledding and tobogganing. We made snowmen and snow forts. We went ice skating. I don't know if they still do this, but my hometown used to ice over all the tennis courts in public parks, so nearly every neighborhood had a free ice rink. Both my dad and Uncle Bennie were very athletic. They bowled, and played softball, handball, basketball. They often took us swimming or skating; other than that, what and how to play was up to us. There was no parental involvement.

I was not athletic, particularly, but I was active. We all were. Television, at least in the early years, was severely restricted, and the television was never on if the sun was shining. I know one of the hazards of aging is idealizing your youth, but I have to tell you: I feel sorry for kids today. I wonder if there would be an obesity epidemic without tv, computers, and video games. So many modern conveniences have made our lives easier... but not better.

2 comments:

Brother Ted said...

I love reading your blog. I found you through my best friend's blog. He is taking the MM detour and is receiving treatment in Little Rock. The network of MM bloggers is amazing, kind of like a family tree. I hope you don't mind me sneaking a peak at your entries. Your family stories send me down my memory path and I find myself smiling at the pictures that come to my mind. Our family did similar activities throughout the summers, we belonged to the Y and TV didn't come on until 7:00 and then we were only able to watch one show. I did go on to become a TV addict, but that is another story. Thanks

La Cootina said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. I agree that the MM network has been a wonderful source of support, information, humor and perspective. Likewise, their caregivers, friends and families. So visit anytime, stay for pie and coffee. :)